The past week saw another new catastrophe bond come to market as Travelers launched their latest deal, Long Point Re III Ltd. With two cat bonds currently being marketed, Q2 2012 is heading to a reasonable level of issuance and likely to clear $2 billion before the start of the hurricane season in June. Other popular stories revolve around cat bonds and ILS as investments and insight on the ILs market in 2012. Here are the ten articles which received the most views during the last seven days on Artemis.
Top ten most viewed articles on Artemis.bm, week ending 13th May 2012:
- Citizens to add $750m of traditional reinsurance, doubling budgeted risk transfer
After issuing a record $750m catastrophe bond through Everglades Re Ltd., Citizens are now upping their overall private market risk transfer to $1.5 billion in total.
- Outstanding catastrophe bond capacity by maturity date
Looking at the future maturity dates of cat bond capacity shows that the market will likely see overall growth this year and possibly in 2013 as well if issuance can outstrip the rate of maturities.
- Swiss Re on the completion of the $400m Mythen Ltd. catastrophe bond
Reinsurer Swiss Re issued a press release on the completion of their latest cat bond, Mythen Ltd.
- Fermat Capital launches new ILS fund in Australia, seeded by superannuation fund
Cat bond investment manager Fermat Capital have launched a new ILS fund targeting Australian investors and received seed funding for it from one of Australia’s largest super funds.
- Plenum Investments to focus on insurance-linked investment management
ILS investment manager Plenum are to focus the Plenum Investments name on their cat bond and insurance-linked investment strategies and place other alternative investment efforts under another brand name.
- Institutional investors still need educating on catastrophe bonds
It’s clear from comments by some pension fund execs that there is still a need to educate institutional investors on the benefits of cat bond and ILS investments as part of their investment strategies.
- 2012 demonstrates catastrophe bonds lack of correlation to wider capital markets
The way cat bond indices have reacted in 2012 clearly demonstrates their general lack of correlation to the wider capital markets.
- Further details on the Residential Re 2012 catastrophe bond
More details emerge on the latest cat bond from regular sponsor USAA, Residential Reinsurance 2012.
- Travelers sponsoring new Long Point Re III Ltd. catastrophe bond
The latest cat bond to come to market in Q2 of 2012 is another Long Point deal from sponsor Travelers. Long Point Re III Ltd. seeks to transfer hurricane risks for Travelers subsidiaries.
- The fluctuating mix of perils making up the catastrophe bond market
The mix of perils making up the cat bond market changes from quarter to quarter depending on the focus of issuance. We look at how it has changed in recent months with the strong issuance that has been seen.