Earthquakes are one of the key perils for the insurance, reinsurance and catastrophe bond sectors with significant reinsurance and ILS capital at risk to any major earthquake events. This page provides access to details of recent significant earthquake events from around the world, as well as an interactive map showing all earthquakes around the world of magnitude 4.5 or greater.
USGS recent significant earthquakes from the last 30 days
- – 5th August 2020M 4.2 – 1km SE of Sylmar, CA
- – 5th August 2020M 6.4 – Vanuatu
- – 5th August 2020M 3.8 – 1km NNE of San Fernando, CA
- – 5th August 2020M 7.8 – 105 km SSE of Perryville, Alaska
- – 4th August 2020M 6.4 – Mindanao, Philippines
- – 3rd August 2020M 5.9 – 3 km SE of Iquique, Chile
- – 29th July 2020M 6.3 – western Xizang
- – 27th July 2020M 6.3 – South Sandwich Islands region
- – 25th July 2020M 7.0 – 114 km NNW of Popondetta, Papua New Guinea
Recent earthquake map
This map from shows the location and parameters of magnitude 5+ earthquake events around the world over the last 7 days. You can browse the map by dragging and zooming, then click on earthquake events of interest, alternatively click on an earthquake event in the left-hand column and it will be highlighted on the map.