It’s been another busy week for news in the markets we discuss on Artemis, with a good range of topics covered. Here are the most popular stories of the last seven days on Artemis, which includes predictions for a bumper year for insurance-linked securities and catastrophe bonds, more details of come of the latest cat bonds, discussion of the already mounting tornado losses in the U.S. and more discussion of regulation which could affect the markets.
Top ten most viewed articles on Artemis.bm, week ending 11th March 2012:
- $7 billion of catastrophe bond issuance possible in 2012
Discussions at the recent SIFMA conference were positive with market participants predicting a bumper year for the cat bond and ILS market. We discuss some of the key soundbites.
- CATCo hires Ron Collins from Aon Benfield as Director of Underwriting
CATCo expand their underwriting capabilities with a key hire.
- Swiss Re to sponsor new catastrophe bond Combine Re Ltd. which benefits two reinsureds
Still a popular story, Swiss Re’s latest cat bond seeks to transfer the risks of two reinsureds to the capital markets in a single transaction.
- Chubb’s East Lane Re V Ltd. catastrophe bond upsizes and closes
Chubb’s fifth East Lane cat bond completes at a slightly upsized $150m.
- Horseshoe expands to offer insurance-linked security SPV services in Ireland
Horseshoe Group sets up a new office in Dublin, Ireland aiming to offer ILS and cat bond SPV services in Europe to complement their operations in Bermuda and the Cayman Islands.
- Thai catastrophe fund nears launch, policies could be parametric
The Thai catastrophe fund aims to base policy payouts on depth of floodwaters. It’s unclear whether the infrastructure to accurately measure the depths exists.
- Recent tornado outbreak could cause insured losses of up to $2 billion
Already the U.S. tornado season is causing losses which will impact insurers. It’s early days in the season still but a $2B bill this early in March will be unwelcome.
- Eurekahedge and ILS Advisers launch index tracking performance of insurance-linked investment funds
A new index is launched which tracks the performance of many of the leading ILS funds. You can track this index on Artemis here.
- Insurers could get exemption from Volcker Rule, but what about ILS issuers?
It looks like insurers may be able to secure an exemption from the Volcker Rule but it’s unclear whether that could include ILS issuers or special purpose insurers.
- Karson Management grows their collateral business
A new collateral offering from Karson Management is growing in usage and has potential to be applied to ILS and cat bond structures.