We hope our readers have enjoyed their Easter holiday break (where celebrated). Here’s your Monday catch-up of the top news of the last week from Artemis. This week saw the awaited catastrophe bond from Florida Citizens come to market, the first time Citizens has tried to tap the capital markets for some of their reinsurance cover. Other news this week discussed investors, new start-ups and an increasing interest in the capital markets from Japan. Here are the ten articles which received the most views during the last seven days on Artemis.
Top ten most viewed articles on Artemis.bm, week ending 8th April 2012:
- Florida Citizens bringing Everglades Re Ltd. catastrophe bond to market
Everglades Re Ltd. will seek to sell around $200m of cat bond notes to provide Florida Citizens with a source of indemnity cover for some of their coastal account portfolio of risk. If successful we could see the capital markets play an increasingly large role in Citizens reinsurance arrangements.
- Solvency II capital adequacy rules to increase transfer of risk to the capital markets
Another discussion of the impending Solvency II rules which could increase interest in insurance-linked securities as risk transfer becomes increasingly important.
- Project Noah flood risk reinsurance pool announced by Marsh & Guy Carpenter
A new flood risk reinsurance pool for the UK is launched by brokers Marsh and Guy Carpenter. Interestingly there has been some backlash since the launch with some saying this facility is doomed to fail due to a lack of buy-in from insurers.
- Investors focus on purest forms of reinsurance risk through funds: Willis Re
We dive into Willis Re’s report on the April renewals and pull out the information of interest to our readers.
- Video: Secquaero Advisors Hans Peter Boller on managing an insurance-linked securities fund
A very informative video gives some insight into the running of an ILS fund.
- Louisiana’s Pelican Re cat bond upsized to $125m and priced
The Pelican Re Ltd. cat bond from Louisiana Citizens successfully completes and upsizes to $125m.
- Validus & hedge fund Paulson & Co. team up to launch Bermudian reinsurer PαCRe
Another start-up reinsurer with input from a major hedge fund launches, this time from Bermuda re/insurance group Validus with the input of John Paulson.
- UK council pension fund considering alternative investments including insurance-linked securities
A UK local authority wants to gain an exposure to ILS for its pension fund.
- Japanese insurers looking to capital markets for risk transfer alternatives
At the April renewals Japanese insurers are increasingly evaluating the capital markets as a source of risk transfer.
- More details on the Everglades Re Ltd. catastrophe bond from Florida Citizens
We updated our readers with much more detail on the Everglades Re Ltd. catastrophe bond.
Subscribe for free and receive weekly Artemis email updates
Sign up for our regular free email newsletter and ensure you never miss any of the news from Artemis.