IAG renews $10bn cat reinsurance tower, cites “modest” rate increase

Share

Australian primary insurance group IAG has successfully renewed its catastrophe reinsurance tower to provide it with the same $10 billion level of occurrence coverage as it had for the prior year, citing only “modest” increases in rates at the renewals.

iag-2021-reinsurance-programIAG enters the new calendar year with a $10 billion main catastrophe reinsurance cover, placed to 67.5% to reflect the insurers existing quota share reinsurance arrangements.

It features one prepaid reinstatement for losses of up to $10 billion, while IAG retains the first $250 million of every loss, the same as the prior year.

On the lower layers of the reinsurance tower, $250m xs $250m, IAG has again secured three prepaid reinstatements.

In addition, the company has its aggregate catastrophe reinsurance tower in place as well, which was secured at the July 1 2020 renewal season.

The aggregate reinsurance runs for 12-months to June 30th 2021, providing $350 million of cover attaching at $400 million of qualifying losses to IAG. Qualifying events are capped at $200 million excess of $50 million per event, from Jan 1 2021.

IAG said that it “experienced a modest increase in reinsurance rates during the renewal process, with the overall expense outcome in line with expectations.”

But roughly 65% of the main catastrophe reinsurance tower is now secured on various multi-year terms, giving greater certainty and security over pricing.

Around 90% of the reinsurance tower has been placed with A+ or better rated reinsurers, which does mean there could be some collateralised participation in the remaining 10%. In addition, ILS fund capital has likely played a role on a rated or fronted basis in the program as well.

When including the effects of IAG’s quota share, the retentions drop to $169 million for Australia (NZ$169 million for New Zealand) for the first and second events, but retentions drop to $34 million (NZ$34 million) for a third loss event.

IAG also has secured stop-loss reinsurance protection for any retained natural perils, aligned with its financial year.

The stop-loss reinsurance offers IAG $100 million of cover excess of $1.1 billion ($68 million in excess of $743 million, after the quota share) for the 12 months to June 30th 2021, with an attachment point close to the FY21 natural perils allowance of $975 million ($658 million post-quota share).

iag-2021-reinsurance-program-details

Read all of our reinsurance renewals coverage here.

———————————————————————
Artemis Live - ILS and reinsurance video interviews and podcastView all of our Artemis Live video interviews and subscribe to our podcast.

All of our Artemis Live insurance-linked securities (ILS), catastrophe bonds and reinsurance video content and video interviews can be accessed online.

Our Artemis Live podcast can be subscribed to using the typical podcast services providers, including Apple, Google, Spotify and more.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Artemis Newsletters and Email Alerts

Receive a regular weekly email newsletter update containing all the top news stories, deals and event information

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Receive alert notifications by email for every article from Artemis as it gets published.

Read previous post:
Zurich launches parametric weather product for non-physical damage

Zurich North America, a division of the global insurance and reinsurance firm Zurich, has launched a new product to provide...

Close