We’ve had a great 2010 here at Artemis and we thought we’d share some figures with you that we are proud of. As some of you will know Steve Evans spent the first half of 2010 in Asia travelling, consulting and working on a number of risk related projects, so Artemis took a bit of a back seat for the first half of the year. Despite this 2010 has been the busiest year ever for Artemis and we’ve seen over 30% growth. We want to thank all our readers for visiting us! Here’s a few choice facts and figures from 2010 for Artemis.
Most popular stories
These were the top ten most read articles on Artemis during 2010. All of these ten received more than 1,000 readers.
- Hurricane Tomas loses strength but should reintensify and threaten Haiti or Jamaica – this storm caused a lot of conversation and concern as it tracked through the Caribbean.
- Predictions for the insurance-linked security and weather risk markets in 2010 – our always popular predictions post (we’re working on one for 2011, contact us to take part).
- Karson Management completes $825 million Regulation XXX transaction for ING Insurance – despite how quiet the XXX market has been there are a lot of people searching for information on transactions.
- Elementum Advisors launched as ILS & catastrophe risk focused investment manager – any article about ILS investment was heavily read during 2010 demonstrating the huge investor interest in the market.
- Kortis Capital Ltd. to issue longevity catastrophe bond for Swiss Re – This innovative longevity trend risk transfer generated a huge amount of interest. It was the fifth most viewed article of 2010 despite only being published on December 1st!
- Solvency II a catalyst for change – Solvency II has been one of the big topics of 2010 across the reinsurance industry and there has been a focus on how risk transfer solutions could help firms meet the capital adequacy requirements.
- Goldman Sachs issues mortality linked CDS under Signum Finance – this innovative mortality deal received a lot of interest, as did anything regarding mortality and longevity risk.
- $1b collateralised catastrophe reinsurance fund to launch in Bermuda – another investment related article which received a lot of readers.
- Chartis preparing U.S windstorm & quake cat bond Lodestone Re Ltd. – the Lodestone transactions seem to be one of the most popular with investors and as such many people search the internet for articles about them.
- Société Générale launches EDGE; a contingent capital solution for insurers and reinsurers – any new solutions for securing additional reinsurance and risk transfer capacity have been popular this year.
Most viewed pages
Over the course of 2010 Artemis received over 250,000 page views. These were the most viewed pages on Artemis during 2010.
- Homepage – naturally, the Artemis homepage was the most viewed (over the course of 2010 it was viewed well over 30,000 times!). You may have noticed some recent changes to this page to make it more useful to our readers.
- Deal Directory – our famous catastrophe bond deal directory is consistently one of the most viewed pages of the website.
- MarketView – the Artemis MarketViews are a place where you can freely list yourself under a service category that suits you. Fill out this form to list yourself.
- Events Calendar – our ever popular listing of the top conferences and events of relevance to the risk transfer and reinsurance communities.
- Reading Library – our library of interesting and useful reading and research on the markets we cover.
Audience compared to 2009
Artemis is growing rapidly. Our audience in 2010 was more than 30% larger than 2009. Our audience has been growing fast through the last half of 2010 in particular and December 2010 alone delivered more than 6,000 readers. We really want to thank our audience for their loyalty, particularly those of you who have been with us from the start (back in 1999). The graph below shows the growth we’ve been experiencing and expect to continue into 2011.
Top referring search terms
It’s interesting to look at the keywords our visitors use to find Artemis. We receive visitors from all the major search engines and looking at the search keywords people use is a great way to gauge what the hot topics have been this year.
- hurricane tomas jamaica – unsurprisingly given how popular the story on this storm was.
- swiss re logo – it seems that a lot of people are looking for a copy of Swiss Re’s logo and due to the keywords used and because Artemis is designed to position highly in search engine results, we receive a lot of traffic from that query.
- alternative risk transfer – perfectly on topic for Artemis and always sends a lot of visitors our way.
- cat bond index – a lot of people are searching the internet for information about the various catastrophe bond indices, we’ve seen this traffic rise as investor demand increases.
- risk financing – another relevant search term that drives a lot of traffic to Artemis.
- catastrophe bonds – no surprise there.
- alternatives to reinsurance – again perfectly on topic.
- iris re – the most searched for term which only contains a company name.
- atlas reinsurance iii – the most searched for catastrophe bond happens to be a deal from a couple of years ago.
- amp capital ils – we get a lot of visits from investors looking to gain access to the ILS market.
We receive a very large proportion of visitors from search engines such as Google due to the efficient way Artemis has been built and architected. In total there were 19,322 different search term combinations used to reach Artemis in 2010. The website is designed to capture relevant traffic from search engines and we know just how to create copy that works for the web. This helps to make Artemis a great place to advertise your services due to the highly relevant visitors we receive. Like your website to be as effective? Get in touch with Steve Evans to discuss his internet consultancy services.
What countries do our readers come from?
Our audience is global and we get visitors from most countries of the world. The top ten of 2010 are listed below.
- United States
- United Kingdom
Most clicked on links
Which links were the most clicked on during 2010 on Artemis? Here’s the top five.
- Nephila Capital – one of our kind supporters.
- Swiss Re – no surprise given the volume of news within this market which is generated by them.
- Standard & Poor’s – again a name which is synonymous with these markets.
- IQPC Insurance Linked Securities Summit New York – one of the conferences featured on Artemis.
- GCCapitalIdeas.com – Guy Carpenters excellent blog which we reference regularly.
Demographic of our audience in 2010
Here’s a few figures which show some of the demographics of our readership during 2010. These figures are from our U.S. audience (the largest and most easily measurable).
We’re extremely pleased with the growth we’ve been experiencing and hope you’ve enjoyed the coverage Artemis has provided the risk transfer markets during 2010. Thank you to all our readers for continuing to visit us and to our sponsors and advertisers for their support. We aim to keep this momentum up through 2011 and hope you’ll continue to visit us.
If you’ve read this and thought that Artemis might be a great place for you to promote your business and its services then please get in touch with us to discuss advertising and sponsorship opportunities.
Also, if you’ve read these figures and wonder why your website isn’t driving you relevant visitors and traffic then contact Steve Evans to discuss his digital, internet and social media consultancy services.