The Artemis Insurance-Linked Securities Investment Managers & Funds Directory is a one-stop resource for information on insurance or reinsurance linked investment managers and their ILS fund strategies.
Cartesian Re - Snapshot:
- ILS manager or company name: Cartesian Re
- Location (HQ / Domicile): New York
- Date of launch: 2009
- Assets under management *: > $250 million (at July 31st 2015)
- Website link: Cartesian Re website
Cartesian Re - Details
Cartesian Re was formed in 2009, and is an affiliate of Cartesian Capital Group, a global private equity firm with more than $2 billion under management.
Cartesian Re’s risk-focused philosophy uses established third party catastrophe risk models, supplemented by scientific expertise and short-term climate and seismic observations to adjust its portfolio and optimize returns.
Cartesian Re focuses primarily on Industry Loss Warranty (“ILW”) contracts. ILWs provide investors with attractive returns that are not correlated with broader financial markets while minimizing the ancillary risks of:
- Credit risk: Counterparty obligations are fully funded and held in a third-party trust
- Collateral risk: Trust can only hold cash and US Treasuries
- Adverse selection: Investment outcomes are based on industry-wide losses not the exposure of a specific counterparty
- Liquidity risk: Trusts automatically liquidate at the conclusion of the ILW term and cash is distributed by trustees in accordance the ILW contract
The Artemis Insurance-Linked Securities Investment Managers & Funds Directory is provided as-is. Best efforts are made to ensure the contents are accurate at the time of publication but there may be some omissions. Please contact Artemis should you require a change to your listing.
The Artemis Insurance-Linked Securities Investment Managers & Funds Directory is copyright © Steve Evans Ltd. Reproduction, copying or publication without permission is not permitted. Use of this information within a commercial product, or for profit, without a license is strictly prohibited. Contact us if you would like to use this content or to discuss licensing.