Valais Re Ltd.
The Artemis Catastrophe Bond and Insurance-linked Securities Deal Directory aims to provide a one-stop resource for information on every cat bond and ILS transaction we hold information on. The content of this Deal Directory is provided as is and there will be some omissions. Help us to keep these cat bond and ILS transaction summaries up to date by contacting us if you see an error or omission that you can correct.
Valais Re Ltd. - At a glance:
- Issuer / SPV: Valais Re Ltd.
- Cedent / Sponsor: Flagstone Re
- Placement / structuring agent/s: Swiss Re Capital Markets and UBS Investment Bank advised on the transaction and underwrote the notes
- Risk modelling / calculation agents etc: RMS
- Risks / Perils covered: U.S. hurricane, U.S. earthquake, European windstorm, Japan typhoon, Japan earthquake
- Size: $104m
- Trigger type: Indemnity
- Ratings: ?
- Date of issue: May 2008
- Artemis.bm news coverage: Articles discussing Valais Re Ltd. from Artemis.bm
- Other coverage: Link to external coverage
Valais Re Ltd. - Full details
This is Flagstone Re’s first entry into the cat bond market. Valais Re will provide fully collateralized retrocessional coverage on an indemnity basis to Flagstone’s worldwide natural catastrophe portfolio for three years. The deal was formed as a program structure enabling further issuance of additional series of notes in the future.
The deal has been structured in two tranches. One of $64m class A notes to provide annual aggregate indemnity cover and a second of $40m class C notes to provide cover per occurrence to collateralize its obligations under the retrocession agreements.
The perils covered under the deal are U.S. windstorm and earthquake, Japanese typhoon and earthquake and European windstorm, as well as protection against annual aggregate worldwide peril losses.
Another $30m of class B notes were withdrawn during placement due to an inability to place the tranche.
The Artemis Catastrophe Bond & Insurance-Linked Securities Deal Directory is copyright © Steve Evans Ltd. Reproduction or publication without permission is not permitted. Use of this information within a commercial product, or for profit, without a license is strictly prohibited. Contact us if you would like to use this content or to discuss licensing.