The catastrophe bond and insurance-linked securities market has got off to a busy start in 2012, with five transactions being marketed and another cat bond lite having been issued. In the last week we’ve also seen more discussion of cat bonds for U.S. State windstorm insurance providers, capital raising news, renewals information, news of an arbitration over Nelson Re and some more coverage of the markets during 2011. Here are the most popular stories of the last seven days on Artemis.
Top ten most viewed articles on Artemis.bm, week ending 22nd January 2012:
- Alabama looking into coastal windstorm insurance and catastrophe bonds
The Affordable Homeowners Insurance Commission in Alabama have proposed the creation of an insurance authority for coastal counties to help cover windstorm insurance. It was proposed that the authority should have the power to issue catastrophe bonds to cover hurricane events.
- Details emerge on Zenkyoren’s Kibou Ltd. catastrophe bond
Japanese cooperative insurer Zenkyoren is returning to the cat bond market seeking to secure a new layer of capital markets earthquake cover.
- Thailand to establish catastrophe insurance fund
The Thai government are proposing to set up a catastrophe insurance fund to help make insurance more available and realistically priced. The fund would seek significant international reinsurance as part of the deal.
- Swiss Re: ILS market poised for continued growth in 2012
Reinsurer Swiss Re see’s a positive year ahead for the ILS and cat bond markets.
- Glacier Reinsurance takes Nelson Re Ltd. to arbitration seeking $20m+ settlement
The Nelson Re cat bond saga continues as an arbitration looks set to settle the disagreements over whether certain policies are included under the terms of the deal or not.
- Clariden Leu issues $50m third-event Florida wind cat bond lite
Clariden Leu transform an ILW into a cat bond again as another way to add risk to their portfolio. This time they bring a unique 3rd event risk to the cat bond market through their innovative cat bond lite.
- Triton Re brings Japanese capital to the convergence markets
Startup Bermuda reinsurer Triton Re is funded by Japanese capital and has a dual remit to write reinsurance but also to invest in convergence instruments such as ILS and ILW.
- CATCo expected to return 23% in 2012 if no loss events
CATCo Investment Management expect that if there are no major losses which affect their portfolio during 2012 they could return as much as 23%.
- Further details on Embarcadero Re Ltd. Series 2012-1 California quake cat bond
The California Earthquake Authority returns to the cat bond market as expected for another Embarcadero Re deal. Aiming for a minimum $150m in cover this could grow.
- Further details on the Ibis Re II Ltd. catastrophe bond
Another of the new cat bonds in the market is Assurants Ibis Re II deal.
Subscribe for free and receive weekly Artemis email updates
Sign up for our regular free email newsletter and ensure you never miss any of the news from Artemis.